To enable your videos and live streams to be accessed by external clients, you need to create a Streaming Locator. This provides a unique link for that asset or live event, that will be processed by the assigned streaming endpoint. The final URL pattern for your video, will be concatenation of the streaming endpoint domain name and the streaming locator that links to your asset. The names you assign to each resource will determine the path URL of your video.
Once created, streaming locators remain assigned to that asset, until either they or the asset is deleted. They can have their own expiry dates and their own configuration properties. This enables you to manage how and until when your content can be accessed via a specific URL.
To create your streaming locator:
- Click on the Assets button on the left of your MK/IO dashboard to see your list of available assets.
- Click on the name of the asset that you want to create a streaming locator for.
- You are then presented with the properties for that asset. If you scroll down towards the bottom of the page, you will see the streaming locators panel. This will list any configured streaming locators already assigned to that asset.
- To create a new streaming locator, at the top of the page, select which streaming endpoint you want to use for this asset from the drop down list. This will present you with all available running streaming endpoints in the region of your asset.
- Once you’ve selected the streaming endpoint, dropdown the streaming locator menu. Here you can either select an existing streaming locator already configured, or you can create a new one by selecting + Add Streaming Locator.
- Selecting the Add Streaming Locator option brings up the dialog box to create a new locator.
- You need to give the locator a name. Note: the name needs to be unique to that asset and will form part of the output URL.
- Add a streaming policy from the drop down option box. The streaming policy dictates the streaming protocols and encryption options for the asset
- Predefined_ClearStreamingOnly is the default option: this will provision a DRM-free URL in both HLS and DASH for the assigned asset.
- Once select the supported formats and encryption types will be displayed below the policy box.
- Set an expiration time for the streaming locator in DD:MM:YYYY, HH:MM format.
- Then click Add.
- Then click apply to take settings and assign the streaming endpoint and streaming locator your asset
- Once assigned, the playback URLs for the asset will be available for copying in the portal and the asset will be available for preview in the browser based web page
Your asset is now live! You can take those URLs and embed them into your applications to enable access your content.
Additional capability for streaming locators will be added to MK/IO very soon
As MK/IO evolves, we will add support for common DRM configurations to be added your streaming locators, as you can configure in AMS today. This will include support for ClearKey, FairPlay, Widevine and PlayReady.
We will also enable the ability to configure filters to your streaming locators, enabling you to customise the manifest file that is delivered to your clients.
Success! You have now migrated your existing assets into MK/IO, created a streaming endpoint to deliver them and defined streaming locators to provide access to your video streams.
If you have any issues creating your streaming locators, please contact our community and support pages for more help and assistance.
Updated 4 months ago